San Antonio slip and fall lawyers
Slip and fall accidents often result in serious injuries, which is why victims should contact our San Antonio slip and fall lawyers. Our experts can help get you compensation benefits, so you can recover from your injuries without financial stress.
Your right to compensation is based on a law that requires any owner/manager of commercial or public premises (such as supermarkets, stadiums, restaurants and government buildings) to ensure that their facilities are safe.
When you fall on someone else’s property due to their negligence (such as a wet floor, a slippery staircase or a pothole), you can claim compensation to pay for all expenses associated with your recovery (such as hospital bills, medicines and doctor’s fees) and to get lost wages if the accident deprived you of the ability to work for any period of time.
Many of our clients have lots of questions about this process, including:
- Why do I need a slip and fall lawyer to sue?
- How much should I pay if I want to hire an experienced slip and fall lawyer?
- What if I was injured because of someone else’s negligence but I’m undocumented?
On this page, you’ll find detailed answers to all these questions, as well as explanations of key aspects of slip and fall accident claims. However, the first thing you should know is that:
- You’re entitled to compensation if you were injured because of a dangerous, careless, defective, poorly maintained, or unmarked risk at a facility.
- Our slip and fall lawyers at George Salinas Injury Lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t have to pay anything out-of-pocket. Only if we win your case do we keep a small percentage of the final compensation.
- No matter your immigration status, Texas law protects you and allows you to be compensated. (By representing you, we guarantee the privacy of your personal information.)
- Winning a slip and fall compensation case requires taking on powerful insurance companies that will seek to leave victims unprotected and pay out as little as possible. That’s why you should make a claim with the aid of experienced accident lawyers.
How can our San Antonio slip and fall lawyers help you?
Injury from a slip and fall is more common than you think. However, you may be wondering:
How do I know if my slip and fall injury qualifies for filing a claim?
In this regard, Texas law states that any injury sustained as a result of a slip and fall that occurred on the property of a third party or public place (such as streets or parks) may be eligible to file and win compensation benefits.
If the law is clear, why do I need an experienced slip and fall lawyer for my case? Can’t I do it on my own?
It’s typical for victims to ask themselves this question. Yet, the truth is that a slip and fall claim requires confronting and defeating insurance companies that represent the interests of powerful corporations. Their goal is to undermine victims’ arguments in order to leave them unprotected and pay them as little as possible.
To achieve this, these companies sometimes resort to immoral and aggressive strategies, such as taking advantage of accident victims’ state of shock to make them sign statements where they assume responsibility and release the negligent party from any blame.
Anybody who visits the property of a third party must act in a prudent and reasonable manner, and not take risky actions that expose them to obvious danger. Sometimes insurance companies misinterpret this law to try to pay as little as possible by artificially “proving” that the victim was partially at fault in the accident.
For these reasons, it’s very likely that the victim will lose the opportunity to receive fair compensation unless their case is handled by expert slip and fall lawyers.
How do I choose the right attorney to represent my slip and fall compensation case?
You should ensure that the legal team you choose is proficient in the theoretical and technical details of specific slip and fall laws. Your attorneys should also have extensive experience winning these types of lawsuits, such as our experts at George Salinas Injury Lawyers. For example, we’ve won millions of dollars in compensation for our clients.
What can slip and fall lawyers at George Salinas Injury Lawyers do to win my case?
Our attorneys at George Salinas Injury Lawyers will take the time to study and verify the circumstances that led to your injuries and present a strong case that will ensure that justice is done.
For this reason, our team not only consists of lawyers, but also of experts and specialists in various areas, such as investigation, medicine, architecture and other types of accidents.
To represent you, we’ll take a number of actions to win your case such as:
- Proving the negligence of the other party requires having compelling evidence. Our expert investigators are dedicated to getting it either by gathering it directly at the scene of the accident, gathering eyewitness testimony, or tracking down and obtaining graphic materials (videos and photographs) that show how the accident happened.
- From all the evidence obtained by our specialists, our lawyers will build your claim step by step, so that it’s solid and undermines any defense made by the representatives of the guilty party.
- To highlight the strength of the evidence, we’ll accompany it with statements issued by experts in relevant fields. For example, if the fall was caused by a defective escalator, we’ll work with an expert in mechanical transportation devices to provide a technical report on the causes of the malfunction.
- We’re in constant dialogue with you to share the latest news about your case and the different possibilities that may arise. It’s likely that the guilty party will want to reach a financial settlement before going to court. In that case, our experienced lawyers will advise you on what path forward is in your best interests.
- We’re with you and your loved ones throughout the entire process. We’ll handle your case from start to finish without you having to pay us anything out of pocket.
Have you or a loved one been injured as a result of a slip and fall on the street or on someone else’s property? Our San Antonio slip and fall attorneys at George Salinas Injury Lawyers are ready to help, regardless of your immigration status.
You’re not alone. Together we’ll seek compensation that will let you recover without financial stress. We speak Spanish and English, so contact us at 210-405-8398 or fill out this form to schedule your free and confidential consultation.
Common causes of slip and fall accidents
Slips and falls cause serious injuries more frequently than believed. According to the National Safety Council, nearly 7 million people were admitted to emergency rooms in the United States for these types of accidents during 2020 (42,114 of which died from their injuries).
Given how worrisome slips and falls can be, it’s useful for people to know why they occur. By knowing the causes, it’s possible to prevent these types of accidents in the first place. Below is a list of the three most common causes of slip and fall injuries:
Dangerous floors or stairs (this category includes slippery floors or those with loose boards, loose wires, worn carpets, freshly waxed surfaces, or poorly lit areas). The law states that the owner (of restaurants, hotels, supermarkets, or any public or private establishment that receives visitors) is required to mark any hazards with clear and visible signs (e.g. “caution wet floor”).
Unsafe construction sites (this category includes platforms, scaffolding, guardrails, stairways, ladders, uneven floors, and any installations within work areas). The law obliges construction companies to provide continuous training to their workers. So, if the accident is due to a lack of preparation instead of unsafe conditions, the employer is still liable for any injuries.
Poorly paved sidewalks and streets, including potholes, obstacles or deficient signage (this category includes parking lots and parks, too). With respect to roads and public spaces, they must be kept in good condition by the government agencies in charge of their maintenance.
It’s important to note that there are situations where owners are obliged to guarantee extraordinary protection measures, such as hospitals or nursing homes. By law there must be ramps and properly trained personnel, so as not to put people with disabilities or the elderly at risk.
Types of slip and fall injuries
A fall can cause countless types of injuries, mainly related to sprained or broken ankles. However, a fall can result in catastrophic and even fatal injuries. Here are five of the most serious injuries:
- Brain injuries – According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls account for 40% of traumatic brain injuries that require intensive care in the United States. There are varying degrees of traumatic brain injury, from mild concussions to life-threatening cognitive impairment.
- Hip fractures – Based on CDC reports, 9 out of 10 hip fracture cases result from slip and fall accidents. Breaking a hip is considered a serious injury, requiring hospitalization and surgery. In the case of the elderly, it can mean a significant loss in their ability to walk, which may require a prosthesis.
- Spinal cord injuries – The spine is related to the mobility of the body. It runs along the back from the waist to the base of the brain. In the event of a fall, any of the 33 vertebrae on the spine may be damaged. If it’s a minor injury, it’s possible to recover in a matter of days. However, severe injuries (those that reach the spinal cord) can lead to different types of irreversible paralysis, such as paraplegia (not being able to move the lower part of the body) or quadriplegia (not being able to move any limb below the neck).
- Shoulder injuries – It’s common for a person who falls to turn their body, so that the impact hits the shoulder instead of their head or knees. Among serious shoulder injuries, the best case scenario is a dislocation. However, there’s a condition known as “brachial plexus injury,” which occurs where the shoulder connects to the spinal cord, resulting in a risk of paralysis.
- Sprains and fractures – These are the most frequent injuries caused by falls and slips. They are less serious than the previous four, though their risk increases if people who suffer from them have weak bones (such as the elderly). The most common fractures are those in the forearm, leg, ankle, pelvis and wrist.
What should I do if I’m injured in a fall?
When you suffer a slip and fall accident, it’s important that you take into account these four steps. This will make it easier for you to win your slip and fall compensation case:
- Seek medical attention immediately after the accident. Next, call a San Antonio slip and fall attorney at George Salinas Injury Lawyers.
- Don’t declare that you’re ok (even if you feel well, you’re likely to be in shock and not feel pain. Also, many injuries can take days or even weeks to show symptoms, such as those involving the brain or internal bleeding).
- Be aware that an insurance agent will approach you to get a statement about the accident or have you sign a document. Don’t do anything of the sort. Don’t give a statement or sign any documents for any reason. Wait until your slip and fall attorney has arrived.
- If possible, take photographs and videos of both the accident scene and your injuries. For example, if you were injured on a wet, unmarked stairway, take a cell phone video showing the wetness of the steps and the absence of a warning sign.
How much money can I get if I win a slip and fall case in San Antonio?
The amount of money a slip and fall accident victim can get depends on several things, such as the severity of their injuries and how long it will take to recover.
Compensation benefits include multiple items that fall into two main categories:
- Coverage for any medical expenses incurred now and in the future (such as medications, hospital stays, doctors, surgeons, hours in intensive care or rehabilitation devices).
- Replacement of all wages lost due to the victim’s inability to work as a result of their injuries.
- Compensation for the emotional damage that the accident has caused to the victim, such as stress, anguish, depression or phobias that may result from the injury. (For example, if somebody fell from a ladder, they may develop a phobia towards ladders that will affect their mental health and quality of life.)
How long do I have to file for compensation for a slip and fall in San Antonio?
The time victims have to file for compensation for a San Antonio slip and fall accident varies according to where they were injured.
Although Texas law stipulates different time periods depending on the type of premises, on average victims have up to two years to file a lawsuit. However, the sooner an attorney is contacted, the easier it is to win such cases. That’s because the more days that pass, the more difficult it is to gather the necessary evidence to prove negligence.
There are cases where victims fall on the property of a third party and feel fine for several days, even weeks. But after a while they begin to show symptoms. These scenarios occur mostly frequently for brain injuries.
To win these types of cases, our legal team at George Salinas Injury Lawyers has a series of expert witnesses specialized in reconstructing and obtaining evidence that can prove in court that the victim was indeed injured by a fall and didn’t sue sooner because injuries appeared after the fact.
How long does it take to resolve a slip and fall case?
The time it takes to resolve a slip and fall accident case depends on whether the parties involved reach a settlement before going to trial or the case goes to court.
If an agreement is reached, resolution may take a few weeks. In case of going to court, the resolution may take several months or even years.
It’s very important for the victim to have the help of a reliable, honest and experienced law firm that will inform the victim of the different legal paths that arise during the negotiations, and explain clearly what the best decision may be.
Contact our San Antonio slip and fall lawyers
Have you or a loved one been injured as a result of a slip and fall on the street or on someone else’s property? Our slip and fall attorneys at George Salinas Injury Lawyers are ready to help you, regardless of your immigration status.
You’re not alone. With our support, you can seek compensation that will let you recover without financial stress. We speak Spanish and English, so call us at 210-225-0909 or fill out this form to schedule a free and confidential consultation with our San Antonio slip and fall lawyers.
It’s possible to sue the owner/ manager of a residential building as long as negligence can be proven. In other words, you must show that they knew of a danger (for example, a broken handrail on the stairs or a pothole in the parking lot) and didn’t notify tenants, even though they knew about it.
The law states that this signage must be posted in a visible place and in large, clear type. It also must be written in the language most commonly used by the tenants (for example, if a large Latino community lives there, it must also be written in Spanish). If the landlord’s negligence can be proven, the victim is entitled to claim compensation benefits for injuries resulting from their slip and fall.
Yes, sidewalk maintenance is the direct responsibility of the government in charge of administering a city or town. So, if you’re injured because of a poorly maintained sidewalk, you have the right to sue the city for compensation for your injuries.
In these cases where governments are involved, the time periods for filing claims are usually shorter and the burden of proof is higher. One complication in these types of cases is that you must prove the accident resulted from the poor condition of a facility and not reckless behavior by the victim. That’s why it’s important for the victim to enlist the help of a San Antonio slip and fall lawyer to ensure that justice is done.
During the winter season, many towns are filled with ice and snow, which can significantly increase the risk of slips and falls. The law establishes different regulations about this. For example, if ice or snow accumulation occurs naturally on a property, the owner has no legal responsibility to clean it up.
On the other hand, if the owner shovels the property and the fall is due to an unnatural accumulation of ice or snow, then the victim can claim compensation benefits to cover the expenses for their injuries. These types of cases are very difficult to prove, as evidence of this type of negligence is complex to get and requires the advice of expert legal teams with great technical skills.
At George Salinas Injury Lawyers, we’re one of the most prestigious law firms in the United States. We’ve won millions of dollars in compensation for our clients and specialize in complex slip and fall cases. George Salinas’ career as a San Antonio personal injury lawyer is impressive. He was selected in the top 100 best lawyers in the U.S. by The National Trial Lawyers (2019) and in 2020 he was named a “Texas Super Lawyer.”
In addition, we’re part of the Latino community. Our firm’s staff is fully bilingual and assists clients in their preferred language (either Spanish or English). We offer free consultations to evaluate each case and if you’re unable to visit our offices, we’ll come to you.
Texas law protects any victim of a negligent accident, regardless of immigration status. However, many property owners or insurance agents try to threaten victims with their immigration status if they insist on filing a claim. These threats often are effective and victims give up their claim, so justice is never done.
With George Salinas Injury Lawyers, you don’t have to worry if your immigration status is unclear. Our San Antonio slip and fall lawyers will protect you against these unethical practices. We’ll defend your right to fair compensation, while also ensuring the protection of your personal information.