A dog bite or attack can be terrifying. It can cause severe physical injuries and lasting emotional trauma. If you suffered a dog bite in San Antonio, Texas, you might be entitled to compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, and other damages.
George Salinas Injury Lawyers is a top-rated personal injury law firm in San Antonio. Our attorneys fight on your behalf to get you a fair settlement for your injuries. The lawyers in our firm have decades of experience handling personal injury cases.
How Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Bitten by a Dog in San Antonio
George Salinas and our team of skilled trial lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We are driven to recover the money you need as you continue to heal and recover from a dog attack.
When you are injured, you need a law firm with the resources to handle your case. George Salinas Injury Lawyers is that law firm. Our dedicated legal team has a proven track record of success — we’ve recovered hundreds of millions for our clients. Let us put our considerable legal skills and knowledge to work for you.
When you hire us to handle your dog bite claim, you can expect our personal injury lawyers to:
- Explain the process of filing a claim for a dog bite injury and your legal rights
- Conduct a thorough investigation to gather evidence proving the dog owner or other party is liable for your damages
- Work with leading specialists and experts to build a stronger case, as necessary
- Document your damages and calculate how much your claim is worth
- Aggressively pursue settlements and jury verdicts for the full value of your personal injury claim
- Identify all sources of compensation to maximize recovery options
- File a personal injury lawsuit and have a seasoned trial attorney argue your case in court, if necessary
Our law firm understands what is at stake. Therefore, we give everything we have to win your case. We handle all the legal aspects of your case while providing support and guidance.
Let us take the burden of dealing with insurance companies and claims adjusters off your shoulders. While you focus on recovering, we focus on your personal injury claim.
Call us for a free consultation with an experienced San Antonio personal injury lawyer. It is time to hold the party responsible for your injury liable for your damages.
Why Do Dogs Bite People?
Even a friendly dog can bite someone. A dog that has never shown any viciousness can suddenly attack a child or adult.
Unfortunately, these instances occur more than most people realize. Dog bites are common, including in San Antonio, Texas.
Dogs bite people for many reasons. In most cases, the dog is reacting to a situation.
A dog might feel stressed or threatened. It might be defending puppies or its territory. A dog might bite someone if it thinks the person is going to take its food away.
Injured or sick dogs might bite if you do not leave them alone. A happy dog can nip and bite when it is playing. Even though the dog does not mean harm, this behavior can cause serious injuries.
Common Injuries Caused by Dog Bites in San Antonio
A dog bite can result in a variety of injuries and secondary conditions. Common dog bite injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Deep lacerations
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Never damages
- Emotional and psychological disorders
- Head and neck injuries
- Rabies and other infections
- Puncture wounds
- Soft tissue damage
- Face injuries
At George Salinas Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of dog bite cases, including cases involving children, adults, and wrongful deaths.
It is crucial that you seek prompt medical care after a dog bite. A bite can cause secondary infections, which can become life-threatening. Also, delays in medical care could hurt your chance of receiving full compensation for damages.
What Is the Texas Law for Dog Bite Claims?
Texas does not have a “one bite rule” like many other states. Instead, San Antonio dog owners can be held liable for damages under one of two legal theories. Our San Antonio dog bite lawyers examine the facts and circumstances of your case and pursue all available legal claims.
Strict Liability for Dog Bites
Strict liability can apply in some dog bite cases. When a dog owner is strictly liable, you do not need to prove negligence to recover compensation for damages.
You only need to prove that the owner knew or should have known the dog was dangerous. A “dangerous dog” to hold the owner strictly liable. A dangerous dog is a dog that has a history of aggressive behavior, attacks, or viciousness.
Negligence Claims for Dog Bites
You can hold a dog owner liable for your damages if the owner is negligent in caring for their animal. A part of caring for an animal is taking reasonable steps to prevent the dog from attacking someone or causing harm.
Examples of dog owner negligence can include:
- Failing to follow leash laws
- Not keeping the dog in a fenced area
- Training a dog to be aggressive
- Allowing a dog to roam freely
- Failing to post warnings of a dangerous or vicious dog
Negligence per se creates a rebuttable presumption that the dog owner was negligent because the injury resulted from breaking a law intended to protect the public. At George Salinas Injury Lawyers, we have substantial experience handling negligence claims.
Provocation as a Defense to Dog Bite Claims in San Antonio
Dog owners and insurance companies use the defense of provocation to avoid liability for a dog bite claim. They claim that the dog only attacked you after you provoked the dog. For example, they may claim you teased the dog or made threatening gestures toward the canine.
At George Salinas Injury Lawyers, we are prepared for this defense. As experienced San Antonio dog bite attorneys, we understand the law governing dog bite claims.
Our legal team diligently investigates the circumstances of your injury to gather evidence disproving allegations of provocation or contributory fault. We build a case on a foundation of facts and evidence that prove you did nothing to cause the dog to bite you.
Provocation is not a defense in most dog bite cases involving children. Children are not held to the same standards as adults because they do not have the capacity to understand the consequences of their actions.
Can Other Parties Be Liable for My Dog Bite Claim Under Texas Law?
Sometimes, a property owner or landlord could be liable for a dog attack. If the owner or landlord knew a dangerous dog was on the premises and failed to take reasonable steps to protect people lawfully entering the property, they could be held liable for all or some of the damages.
Our attorneys at George Salinas Injury Lawyers will carefully review your case to identify each party who could be responsible for your damages. By doing so, we improve your chance of receiving full compensation for all damages.
What Damages Can George Salinas Injury Lawyers Help Me Recover for a Dog Bite Case?
Dog bite victims can receive reimbursement for their economic damages. These damages include:
- Medical bills
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Cost of personal care
- Diminished earning capacity
- Lost wages, benefits, and other income
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life and enjoyment of life
- Impairments and disabilities
The amount you receive for a dog bite claim depends on the facts of your case. Typically, cases involving severe injuries, significant disfigurement, and permanent impairments have greater damages.
George Salinas and our legal team work with you to document all damages. We may retain medical specialists and financial professionals to assist in documenting damages and proving the value of your claim. We leave nothing to chance when building a case.
Call Now to Schedule a Free Consultation with Our San Antonio Dog Bite Lawyer
A dog bite is not a minor injury. We treat your case with the seriousness it deserves. Our law firm will help you recover full damages after a dog bite.
Contact us online or by phone for more information or to schedule your free case review with a San Antonio dog bite lawyer. Let us put our decades of experience and results behind your case.
Our Personal Injury Law Firm in San Antonio also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near You in San Antonio
- Birth Injury Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
- Boating Accident Lawyer in San Antonio
- Brain Injury Attorney in San Antonio
- Car Accident Attorney in San Antonio, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in San Antonio
- Construction Accident Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in San Antonio
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in San Antonio
- Premises Liability Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
- Product Liability Attorney in San Antonio
- San Antonio Bus Accident Lawyer
- San Antonio Lyft Accident Lawyer
- San Antonio Taxi Accident Lawyer
- Slip & Fall Lawyer in San Antonio
- Train Accident Lawyer in San Antonio
- Uber Accident Lawyer Near You in San Antonio, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in San Antonio
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in San Antonio, TX