Attorneys Answer: When Do You Need to Hire a San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer?
March 4, 2023 | Car Accidents
It is essential to understand that you have the right to legal counsel, and there are times when you need to hire a personal injury lawyer to protect your best interests.
What Types of San Antonio Car Accidents Require a Lawyer?
An accident victim can benefit from consulting a lawyer after any automobile accident. However, there are situations where it is in the victim’s best interest to have legal counsel.
You might need to hire a car accident lawyer if any of the following situations apply in your case:
- You or a family member sustained serious injuries and/or permanent impairments. As a result, you could be entitled to substantial damages, including future damages.
- Your child was injured in a car accident. Child injury claims can be challenging because different rules apply for settlement.
- A commercial motor vehicle, semi-truck, or government vehicle was involved in the crash.
- Multiple vehicles or parties are involved, which could result in several parties being liable for your damages.
- The insurance company alleges that you could be partially to blame for the car accident.
- A loved one was killed because of injuries sustained in a car wreck.
- A drunk driver or hit-and-run driver caused your car accident.
- The other driver did not have the required automobile insurance coverage.
- The insurance company denied liability for your car accident claim.
There may be other reasons why you need to hire a personal injury lawyer after a car accident. It is worthwhile to seek legal advice to protect yourself, especially since you are not under any obligation to hire a lawyer after a free consultation.
What Tactics Will the Insurance Company Use to Reduce Your Settlement Amount?
Insurance companies routinely undervalue and deny valid car accident claims. Paying large settlements decreases the company’s profits. Therefore, the company might use one or more tactics to reduce your settlement amount.
For example, the insurance adjuster may use your statements during an interview to allege you are partially to blame for the accident. If you are partially at fault, your compensation can be reduced by your percentage of fault under the Texas contributory fault law. If your fault exceeds 50%, you cannot recover any money for your claim.
Another tactic insurance companies use to reduce settlements is alleging you failed to mitigate damages. Injured victims have a duty to take reasonable steps to limit the harm they suffer because of the car accident. For example, failing to seek prompt medical care could be used to allege your injuries are worse than they would have been had you seen a doctor sooner.
Insurance adjusters are trained to obtain and use the information to reduce liability for insurance claims. They are not working to resolve the claim in your best interest. Therefore, allowing a car accident attorney to handle all communications with the insurance company is best.
How Can a San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
There are many ways a car accident lawyer can help you after a traffic accident. Ways that attorneys help their clients include:
Proving Liability for a Claim
An attorney has the resources to conduct an exhaustive accident investigation to gather evidence proving causation, fault, and liability. Evidence in a car accident case could include:
- Crash reports and police reports
- Statements made by the drivers and passengers
- Physical evidence from the accident scene
- Opinions and evidence from accident reconstructionists and other expert witnesses
- Data from vehicle systems and recorders
- Eyewitness statements
There could be other evidence, depending on the facts and circumstances of your case. Building a solid case improves your chances of receiving maximum compensation for damages.
Calculating Damages and Negotiating Settlements
Many victims are surprised to discover their claim is worth more than the insurance company states. The initial settlement offer could be much lower than the value of your damages. Also, victims might not know that they are entitled to non-economic damages for their pain and suffering.
A car accident lawyer helps you document your damages and calculates the correct value of your economic damages and other losses. Then, your attorney aggressively negotiates for the full value of your claim. Your lawyer also explains your settlement options and the risks and benefits of filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Providing Support and Guidance
A car accident lawyer handles all matters related to your claim, from the investigation to settlement or jury trial. You can focus on your health and recovery while a legal team focuses on getting you the money you deserve.
Navigating the claims process without a lawyer can be stressful. It could also result in a lower settlement amount. Before signing any documents or accepting a settlement, you should check with a San Antonio car accident attorney. Contact the attorneys at George Salinas Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation.
Contact The San Antonio Car Accident Attorneys from George Salinas Injury Lawyers
If you were injured in an accident in Bexar County, please contact our San Antonio car accident lawyers at George Salinas Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation today. We serve all San Antonio neighborhoods and surrounding cities.