Drunk Driving Accident Attorney in San Antonio
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), alcohol-related traffic crashes in 2017 accounted for 28 percent of traffic fatalities on Texas roads. In 2017, more than 2,000 crashes involving alcohol occurred in Bexar County alone, resulting in 53 fatalities and about 900 injuries. In fact, someone is injured or killed on Texas roads about every 20 minutes as a result of alcohol, a stunning statistic that shows the full extent of the danger drunk drivers pose to drivers, bikers, and pedestrians.
Drunk driving accidents often result in severe or catastrophic injuries that inflict massive physical, mental, and financial stress on victims and their families. At the Law Offices of George Salinas, we believe these victims should never have to endure this challenging time alone. A qualified personal injury attorney with experience representing victims of drunk driving accidents can help victims recover the compensation they deserve for their injuries and losses.
If you have suffered an injury or a tragic loss in a San Antonio drunk driving accident, contact The Law Offices of George Salinas at (210) 225-0909 for a free consultation to discuss your case.
Common Injuries That Result From Drunk Driving Accidents
Alcohol-related crashes often exert extremely violent forces on the occupants of the vehicles involved. Drunk drivers tend to exceed the speed limit and often collide with other vehicles head-on, leading to severe injuries and fatalities. Victims of these accidents often suffer one or more of the following injuries:
- Fractured and broken bones, orthopedic injuries, and traumatic amputations
- Head traumas that might result in traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries including cracked or herniated discs
- Spinal cord injuries that might result in permanent or temporary paralysis
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Burns that might leave permanent scarring even after multiple corrective surgeries
Texas Dram Shop Laws and Liability for Drunk Driving
Intoxicated drivers are not the only parties who may share liability for causing drunk driving accidents. Like many other states, Texas has a dram shop law governing the liability of someone who serves alcohol to a person who subsequently becomes intoxicated and causes injuries in a drunk driving accident. A qualified attorney can advise you whether the dram shop law applies in your case. If it does, then in addition to any claim you may make against the drunk driver, you may also have the right to seek compensation from:
- A place of business that sells alcohol. Any store, bar, or restaurant who sells alcohol to an obviously intoxicated customer or a minor who causes an accident may be liable for damages in Texas.
- A social host who served alcohol. Any person who throws a party or social function and serves alcohol to a non-related minor who causes an accident may be held liable under Texas law.
Seeking Compensation After a Drunk Driving Accident in San Antonio
After a drunk driving accident causes serious injuries, it can help to have a seasoned personal injury lawyer help you recover compensation by negotiating with insurance companies and/or taking legal action in Texas courts. Injured victims of drunk driving accidents in Texas can usually the following categories of damage to contribute to the amount of money they can seek:
- Medical expenses such as ambulance rides, emergency department visits, hospitalization, X-rays, surgeries, and more
- Future medical costs such as around-the-clock care for injuries that result in long-term disability or extensive recovery requiring multiple surgeries
- Rehab and recovery costs including physical therapy and assistive devices like prosthetic limbs, wheelchairs, walkers, and canes
- Lost wages from missing work after a serious accident
- Future lost wages when a severe injury prohibits a victim from returning to work
- Non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and scarring and disfigurement
- Punitive damages in the rare case in which the defendant acted with malice or gross negligence
If a drunk driving accident resulted in the loss of a loved one, families may be able to recover some of the damages above, and in addition, costs for funeral services. An experienced wrongful death lawyer can help victims’ families determine their eligibility for compensation after losing a loved one.
What Should You Do if You’ve Been Hit by a Drunk Driver?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a drunk driving accident, it is almost always in your best interest to consult with a qualified personal injury lawyer with the experience and know-how to recover the maximum compensation for you under the law.
Until you have the opportunity to speak with a lawyer, here are some immediate steps to take after you have been hit by a drunk driver.
- See a doctor. If you weren’t transported to the hospital via ambulance, you need to get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. You may feel okay, but some injuries don’t immediately present symptoms. Medical documentation of your injuries is also often necessary to maximize the likelihood of a positive outcome in a lawsuit.
- Report the accident to law enforcement. Report every drunk driving accident to the authorities and help bring drunk drivers to justice. Police reports of the accident and any charges filed against the drunk driver may prove critical in a subsequent legal action.
- Don’t talk to insurance companies. Insurance companies might offer you low settlements to avoid paying full and fair compensation for your injuries. Additionally, you might say something that an adjuster could use to devalue your claim. Let a lawyer handle all communications with an insurance company.
- Don’t post on social media. Avoid posting about your accident or injuries on social media. Investigators for the defendants might use anything you post to undermine your claim.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a drunk driving accident in the San Antonio area, you deserve full and fair compensation. Let an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer advocate for you while you focus on rehabilitation. Contact The Law Offices of George Salinas in San Antonio at (210) 225-0909 for a free consultation to discuss the details of your case and learn how we might help.