San Antonio Head and Neck Injury Lawyer
Have you suffered a head or neck injury in San Antonio, Texas, due to the negligence or recklessness of another person? Head and neck injuries can be serious and life-altering. Following your accident, you may face climbing medical bills, significant time off away from work, and other expenses. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you obtain compensation to help pay those expenses.
What are Head Injuries
A head injury is any injury to the brain, skull, or scalp. Some common head injuries include concussions, skull fractures, and scalp wounds. Head injuries can range from mild to traumatic, and treatment varies according to the type and severity of the injury. Some of the most common types of head injuries include:
- Hematoma – A collection or clotting of blood outside of the blood vessels.
- Hemorrhage – Uncontrolled bleeding in the space around the brain or within the brain tissue.
- Concussion – When the brain hits the hard walls of the skull and causes symptoms that are often temporary, but may be permanent in some cases.
- Edema – swelling within the brain due to injury.
- Skull fracture – Although the bone of the skull is hard enough to absorb most blows, it can be fractured if struck hard enough. Unfortunately, skull fractures often include damage to the injured individual’s brain.
- Diffuse axonal injury – An injury to the brain that does not cause bleeding, but does cause damage to the brain cells, making them unable to function. A diffuse axonal injury is one of the most dangerous types of brain injuries, as while no outwardly visible, it can lead to permanent brain damage or even death.
The following are common symptoms of a head injury:
- The feeling as though one is spinning
- Ringing in the ears
- Loss of consciousness
- Lack of balance
- Abnormal eye movements or an inability to focus one’s eyes
- Loss of muscle control
- Loss of memory
- Clear fluid leaking from the ears or nose
- A change in mood
What are Neck Injuries
Neck injuries can involve any part of the neck, including muscles, bones, joints, tendons, ligaments or nerves. Some of the most common types of neck injuries include:
- Whiplash – Caused when the head moves violently, resulting in damage to the soft tissues, including muscles, tendons, and nerves. Symptoms of whiplash include neck stiffness and pain, headaches, dizziness, tingling, numbness, or weakness in limbs.
- Disc injury – Caused when the vertebral discs become damaged, and the nerves in the neck become irritated, leading to pain that travels from the neck to the legs.
- Vertebral fracture – Caused when the vertebral bones in the neck break. This type of injury can be serious, as the broken vertebrae can damage the spinal cord and potentially lead to paralysis.
- Spinal cord damage – Caused when the vertebral bones become disrupted, leading to their inability to protect the spinal cord as they should. Spinal cord damage can lead to partial or complete paralysis and even death.
Common symptoms of neck injuries include:
- Pain that worsens if the injured individual holds his or her head in one position for long periods of time
- Muscle tightness
- Decreased ability to move one’s head
- Numbness, weakness, or tingling of the extremities
Cervical spinal cord injuries involve the top seven vertebrae of the spine, which are located in the neck, and are often the most serious of spinal cord injuries, due to their close proximity to the brain and the amount of the body that relies on this spinal segment. Cervical spine injuries often involve partial or complete loss of sensory function. Most create permanent issues, and victims often require round-the-clock care for the remainder of their lives.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim
If you’ve suffered a neck or head injury in a car accident or other event that was caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you may be eligible to seek compensation. Your first step is to either file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance carrier or file a personal injury lawsuit in court.
If you’ve sustained an injury in an accident, you should work with an experienced personal injury lawyer, who can help you file a claim with the insurance company or file a claim in court. Insurance companies often attempt to avoid paying fair compensation, and they may attempt to employ defensive tactics, such as trying to get claimants to accept low initial settlements, delaying payment, or even attempting to prove that the claimant’s injuries were not caused by the accident. A personal injury lawyer understands these tactics and is experienced in determining victim’s damages. Your attorney will likely be able to negotiate a better settlement with the insurance company than you would secure if unrepresented.
If the insurance company fails to offer a fair settlement amount, a personal injury lawyer can help you file a lawsuit. The statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in Texas is two years, which means you must file within two years from the date of your accident. The legal process of a personal injury lawsuit typically involves the following steps:
- File a complaint in court.
- Serve your complaint on the at-fault party and/or that party’s insurance carrier.
- File any necessary pre-trial motions.
- Attend pre-trial hearings and continue to attempt to negotiate a favorable settlement.
- Present your case to a jury and/or judge.
- Resolve post-trial appeals.
George Salinas Injury Lawyers Can Help
Recovering from head and neck injuries can be a time-consuming and long-lasting effort. Your health should be your primary concern. The San Antonio-based personal injury lawyers at the George Salinas Injury Lawyers are devoted to taking the stress of the legal process off the shoulders of our clients by providing them with thorough and aggressive representation. We negotiate on their behalf and develop their cases. While we cannot guarantee a favorable result in your case, we promise to promptly provide you with communication and information throughout the legal process. We also provide thoughtful guidance to help you make decisions on how best to proceed.
Call George Salinas Injury Lawyers today at 210-225-0909, or contact us online, to schedule a free, no-obligation case review and consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“Mr. Salinas and his staff were so polite and sympathetic to my situation. They really took care of me, and their communication about every step of the process was excellent. They answered every question promptly and with detailed information. I would recommend them to anyone that needs legal help.”