Were you hurt in a car accident in San Antonio, Texas? Did the driver who caused it flee the scene rather than stop and make sure you were okay?
If so, you might be entitled to compensation for the harm you suffered.
However, obtaining this compensation might depend on your ability to track down the responsible driver or file a successful claim with your own insurer.
You may be wondering, “Do I need a lawyer after a hit-and-run accident in San Antonio, TX?” The San Antonio car accident lawyers at George Salinas Injury Lawyers can explain how we can help during a free consultation. Call us today to get started.
How Our San Antonio Car Accident Lawyers Can Help After a Hit-and-Run Collision
Car accidents can be scary and confusing, but they can be even more so when the driver responsible for them abandons the scene. You may be seriously injured and have no way of seeking help or knowing your legal options.
The San Antonio car accident lawyers at George Salinas Injury Lawyers have more than 110 years of combined experience.
If you were hurt in a hit-and-run accident, our team can help by:
- Investigating the accident and working with law enforcement to identify the fleeing driver
- Explaining your legal options for obtaining fair financial compensation
- Gathering evidence to determine if other parties might be at fault, such as someone who sold or furnished alcohol to a drunk driver
- Reviewing all applicable insurance policies and filing claims on your behalf
- Calculating the full extent of your damages
- Fighting for your fair recovery in or out of court
Our law firm has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients, including obtaining some of the largest verdicts in state history. Contact us today to receive a customized legal strategy on how to best pursue the compensation you are owed.
Texas Rules on Stopping At Car Accident Scenes
Texas law requires any driver involved in a crash to do the following:
- Immediately stop at the scene or return to the scene
- Determine whether someone was injured and requires aid
- Remain at the scene of the accident until they provide their name, address, vehicle registration number, and insurance provider, show their driver’s license if requested, and provide reasonable assistance to anyone injured in the crash
- Call 911 if anyone sustained a personal injury, died, or the collision rendered a vehicle inoperable or unsafe
Failing to comply with these requirements can result in imprisonment of up to five years in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and a fine of up to $5,000.
Common Causes of Texas Hit-and-Run Accidents
Despite the law that requires all drivers to remain at the scene, many choose to shirk their responsibility by fleeing the scene.
Common reasons why someone may flee after an accident include:
- They are driving without a license or on a suspended licenses
- They are in possession of illegal weapons, drugs, or paraphernalia
- They do not have car insurance
- The vehicle is stolen
- They are undocumented and afraid of detection by immigration authorities
In other situations, they may realize they are to blame for the accident and simply do not want to have to pay fair compensation to the victim. Regardless of the reason, it is important that you act calmly and take steps to protect your health and claim.
What To Do After a Hit-and-Run Crash in San Antonio, TX
If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of being hurt in a hit-and-run accident, take these steps to protect your health and legal rights:
- Report the crash to the police so it is documented. You will need a copy of the accident report to make your insurance claim.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Call for help with your cell phone or ask a witness nearby.
- Write down what you remember about the accident as soon as possible while your memory is fresh. Write a description of the driver and the vehicle. Include any portion of the license plate number that you remember.
- Cooperate with authorities in the criminal investigation.
- Take pictures of your vehicle, any car parts on the ground, and skid marks.
- Ask any witnesses for their contact information.
- Note any nearby video cameras that might have recorded the accident.
Also, contact an experienced San Antonio hit-and-run accident lawyer for immediate assistance.
Potential Legal Options After a San Antonio Hit-and-Run Accident
If you were injured in a hit-and-run accident, you should not have to shoulder the financial burden. It’s possible that the at-fault driver could be located and held responsible for their actions, especially if the police conduct a criminal investigation.
In some situations, another party may be found at fault, such as an employer or someone who furnished alcohol to a drunk driver. An experienced lawyer can investigate your claim and determine all parties who may be responsible for your damages.
However, the most common outcome of a hit-and-run accident is filing a claim with your own uninsured motorist coverage. With this option, you deal with your own insurance provider to recover your damages.
An experienced lawyer can conduct an investigation and try to gather evidence to show that someone else caused your accident, proving that your uninsured motorist coverage applies. Your lawyer can also help ensure that you file your claim within the applicable time limit.
Contact Our San Antonio Hit-and-Run Accident Attorneys For Help
Do you need an attorney after a hit-and-run accident in San Antonio, TX? Probably. You already have enough to deal with because of the driver’s irresponsible behavior. You shouldn’t have to deal with the process of filing an insurance claim on your own. Turn to George Salinas Injury Lawyers for help with your claim.