Reckless Driving Causes Serious Injuries
Nothing ruins your day more than getting into a car accident. What’s more frustrating is when you’re injured by the fault of the other driver. While graduated licensing laws have helped reduce the number of reckless driving accidents, it still happens daily. Reckless driving is a serious problem that causes grave injuries. If you or a loved one has been injured by a reckless driver in San Antonio, you deserve to have a skilled auto accident injury lawyer standing by your side and guiding you through the complex claims process.
Types of Reckless Driving
In Texas, reckless driving is a hybrid offense. A driver charged with reckless driving may face a misdemeanor charge, up to a $200 fine, and up to 30 days in jail. Ignoring the safety of other drivers is a key component of reckless driving in Texas. Examples of reckless driving include:
- Running stop signs
- Running red lights
- Excessive speeding
- Driving faster than road conditions allow
- Failure to yield right of way
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Evading law enforcement
- Talking on a phone while driving
- Texting while driving
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Passing over a double yellow line
Texas takes reckless driving seriously because of the potential dangers posed to passengers, other drivers, and pedestrians. Those who drive in a manner that shows a reckless disregard for the safety of others could face reckless driving charges.
Injuries Caused by Reckless Driving
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 1000 people are injured each day in the United States from reckless driving. As with many types of car accidents, reckless driving accidents can cause a wide range of injuries. These include:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
Because speed is usually a factor in reckless driving, injuries are often severe. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident caused by a reckless driver, you deserve to have your medical bills and pain and suffering paid for by the at fault driver.
Reckless Driving Damages
When a driver causes an accident where you are injured, you should not be on the hook for your medical bills. Working with an experienced personal injury lawyer in San Antonio will give you the best chance of recovering damages for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
Your reckless driving injuries may be severe and cause you life-altering consequences. We’re here to help make sure you don’t have to pay these expenses out of your own pocket. When you’re injured by a reckless driver, their insurance company will usually contact you and offer you a settlement. It will be a low ball offer and most likely not include any future costs. This means, if you take their low ball settlement offer, you could very well end up paying out of pocket for your future medical expenses for injuries you played no part in causing.
This is tragic, but we’ve seen it happen far too often. Don’t let it happen to you. The best way to avoid this is to speak with a trusted personal injury lawyer who can negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company. Our job is to get you the maximum settlement or award to cover all of your expenses, now and in the future. While it’s true that most personal injury cases settle out of court, we won’t settle your case unless it’s right for you. That means we’re fully prepared to take your case all the way to trial, if necessary. Not all firms can say that.
Five Steps to Take After Your Accident
After your car accident, take these steps.
- Call 911. Even if your injuries are minor, you want to have documentation of your accident. The police will prepare a report of what happened, speaking with you, the other driver, and any witnesses. While the police may not assign fault on their report, this objective document will help show the other driver was at fault and is liable for your injuries.
- Get medical attention. It’s important to be seen by a medical professional as soon as possible after your accident. Even if you don’t feel any pain, your injuries may not surface until later. Having documented evidence of your injuries will help you recover for your medical bills.
- Take pictures. Documenting everything includes taking pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. Doing so will help your personal injury lawyer negotiate on your behalf and recover for your injuries.
- Don’t speak to the insurance company. The insurance company is out to make money. If you say something seemingly innocent like “I may have looked down for a second” they will use that against you to show you were at least partially at fault for the accident and not pay your claim. You deserve to have your medical bills paid so make sure you speak with a trusted personal injury lawyer before you speak with the insurance company.
- Call an experienced car crash attorney. An auto accident lawyer’s job is to make sure you make a full and complete recovery without having to pay the medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident. You didn’t cause the accident, so you should bear no responsibility for the bills associated with your recovery.
If You Need More Information or Help
Look for a firm that has helped clients just like you for many years, someone who knows the tactics insurance companies employ, and how to negotiate with them to maximize your settlement. You will want a firm that knows how to calculate future and ongoing medical expenses, and how to properly plead your case to ensure you don’t end up paying out of pocket. Meet with a car accident lawyer who will give you a full case evaluation, conduct an independent investigation of your accident, speak with witnesses, review medical records, speak with insurance companies, and stand up for you in court if needed.
If you have questions about a personal injury claim, contacting an experienced reckless driving attorney can help set you on the right course.