Finding the Right Car Crash Attorney in Texas
If you’ve been in a car crash in Texas, you probably have a lot of questions. You may need medical attention right away after the crash, and perhaps long-term. You’ll need to contact your insurance company, obtain a copy of the crash report, and determine how best to pursue fair compensation for your injuries.
An experienced Texas crash attorney can be one of your best resources after a car accident in Texas. But, it’s important to choose the right lawyer for you and your situation.
Texas Crash Data
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) makes information about motor vehicle crashes in Texas available to the public. In 2020, 3,896 people died on Texas roads, or as a result of Texas crashes. That’s more than 10% of the total traffic fatalities nationwide. During the same time period, there were more than 14,000 serious traffic-related injuries in the state. In fact, Texas hasn’t seen a day without a traffic death since the year 2000.
This doesn’t necessarily mean Texas drivers are more dangerous than those in other states. It’s the largest state in the country, with more than 683,000 lane miles of road. That includes a lot of rural roadway, which can be more dangerous than urban and suburban roads. And, Texas is home to more commercial truck drivers than any other state.
Who is Entitled to Compensation after a Car Crash in Texas?
In Texas, a person is generally liable for damages they cause through negligence. In simple terms, that means:
- They had a duty of care
- They failed in that duty of care
- That failure caused the harm
Here’s how that typically plays out in a Texas car accident case:
- A driver has an obligation to follow traffic safety laws and exercise reasonable care on the road
- The driver fails in that obligation in some way, such as speeding or turning attention away from the road to read text messages
- An accident occurs because of that failure, and someone is injured
Usually, the responsible party is one of the drivers involved in the accident. Sometimes, both drivers will bear some degree of responsibility. And, in some cases, a third party may be wholly or partly responsible.
The best source of information about the possible responsible parties after a Texas car crash is a local attorney who is experienced in handling motor vehicle accident cases. But, car accident lawyers are not interchangeable.
Finding the Right Texas Car Crash Lawyer for You
There are many factors to consider when choosing a Texas car crash attorney. One of the most significant is experience with motor vehicle accident cases. But, you’ll also want to consider other factors, and your free consultation is the perfect opportunity to gather the additional information you need.
Some key variables to consider include:
- How comfortable you are with the attorney
- Whether the attorney listens to your questions and concerns and explains things clearly to you
- Who you’ll be working with as the case moves forward, whether that’s a team, the attorney you’re meeting with, an associate, or others in the office
- Your confidence in the attorney’s knowledge
- The attorney’s ability and willingness to take your case to trial, best measured by their history of trying cases to a jury
The right Texas car crash lawyer will be able to:
- Take the burden off of you and your family by handling negotiations, managing deadlines, and moving your claim forward
- Gathering evidence, including through a formal discovery process that helps ensure completeness and accuracy of information
- Identifying and interviewing possible witnesses on your behalf
- Choosing and working with experts to establish both negligence and damages
Take the Next Step Right Now – Talk to a Car Crash Lawyer
The longer you wait to connect with a local car accident lawyer, the greater the opportunity to make mistakes–or for the insurance company to mislead you in ways that can hurt your case or delay your claim. At the George Salinas Injury Lawyers, we know how important it is for you to have accurate information and reliable guidance from the beginning. We make it easy to get that help by offering free consultations to people who have been injured or lost loved ones in Texas motor vehicle accidents.
You can schedule yours right now. Just call 210-225-0909 or fill out our contact form or click in the lower right corner of this page to chat.
If you found this article helpful, you may be interested in: